Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why I want the EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM?

Background:

I'm sure when we first started using our own DSLRs we find that the kit lens that come with it is quite adequate. I thought I can live with the EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS for decades to come. Afterall theres a saying... Its not the camera that counts but the person who's shooting behind it. Why then buy a 17-55mm lens that may cost SGD 1600 to replace the kit lens?

Reason:

At F/3.5 sometimes light is not adequate enough in dark or dimly-lit indoors. Matters become worse when the 18-55mm lens is zoomed into its 55mm tele-end. Slightly more than 1-stop of light is lost at F/5.6. With lesser light, lower shutter speed is needed to get a correct exposure. The shutter speed can be so low until the IS cannot help at all. Blur images you will get.

The shutter speed can be increased if we use a bouncing external flash or if we jack up the ISO. External flash however like the 270EX I owned is not powerful enough sometimes or it doesnt recharge fast enough. ISO when jacked up may cause more noise to the pic. And finally there is always the reason of sharpness. The 17-55 is sharper than 18-55 even if it is used at the largest aperture (F/2.8). At F/2.8, the 17-55mm will allow me to obtain higher shutter speeds and prevent me using higher ISOs. At F/2.8 it is also much easier to get pleasing background blur or bokeh.

And last the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM produces image quality near or the same as an L Lens such as the EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM. In fact on my 50D Cropped Sensor the 17-55 covers the similar range. I dont foresee myself upgrading to a full frame in the near future. At least not until a full frame dslr cost lest that SGD 2500. Even If I want to upgrade to a fullframe later, the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM has a high resale value. Provided that the lens is well taken care of.



Conclusion:

I have to wait for my year-end pay to come before I can afford to buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment