Saturday, December 5, 2009

SANA Outing Event Photography Post-Mortem

Shooting in a weather that is threathening a downpour is indeed very challenging. In the zoo, where most shots are taken outdoors, makes me nervous. The thick grey clouds and the weak evening sun makes the outdoors very dark. I constantly used ISO range 800 - 3200. Even that makes some pics appear underexposed as I struggled to get a higher shutter speed.

The 75-300mm III USM performs well within its limitations. Of course, at lower shutter speeds you will get blur shots without tripod and IS. I miss IS terribly. Getting sharp pictures is also a struggle as the effects of NR kicks in to blur the pics further. My only salvation is the RAW format. Hopefully I can generate better pics when I edit them in Canon's DPP software. I'm not a Photoshop expert. Need one to teach how to use it effectively. The pictures from ISO3200 appears soft after standard noise reduction. The white balance is set to AWB but later changed to "cloudy" to match the very cloudy conditions in the Zoo. This improves the colour and contrast.

My 18-55mm lens died today. It refuses to Autofocus at all. However it took a number of pictures before it died. Luckily the 10-22mm and 50mm F/1.8 manage to save the day. The 10-22 effectively took a huge group picture under a white tentage that could bounce my underpowered 270EX. The low-light dinner pictures turn out excellent.

I'm going to post some Zoo pics soon. Going to edit my RAW pics for now. Good night and have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment