Sunday, December 6, 2009

A short on-the-field review of Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM

The EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM is undeniably the cheapest and longest telephoto zoom lens that Canon made available to the masses. It comes with the 1000D as a bundled lens together with the 18-55mm. If you read the reviews at the following websites:

www.the-digital-picture.com
www.slrgear.com

...you realise that this Lens got pretty much bashing. Cheap, light lens with mediocre image quality.

I recently used this lens for the SANA Zoo outing. The outdoors is very dark thanks to the weaker evening sun and layers upon layers of grey clouds. Thank goodness it doesnt rain. The Lens needed to be stopped down and it makes my job very difficult to shoot at slow shutter speeds. In order to get higher shutter speed, at certain situations, I have to jack up the iso as high as ISO3200. Very grainy... At ISO3200, only 1/3 of the pics can be used.

The image stabilization feature present in my damaged EF-S 55-250mm IS lens is deeply missed. As well as its sharpness and lack of chromatic aberrations.

However, with great struggle, the following pictures are taken. Its not that good but its also not that bad huh? If you want me to describe how to attain it using this "mediocre" lens let me know.

[1] a detailed sculpture of a crocodile



[2] an otter relaxing



[3] the vigilant meerkat on sentry duty



[4] the tamarind



[5] the majestic man-eating white tiger




Anyway I find the whole experience very challenging. I enjoyed it. I wish I'm at the zoo a little bit longer.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment